One of the things I wrote about in my book RealThings was the importance of music. Music is effective because it taps into your emotions and can stir up optimism or energize you. It can be inspiring. Inspiration is a driving force and can help compel you to take action.
So I decided to share a list of music that is inspiring and listen to often; the songs aren’t listed in any particular order either. It was hard to choose.
I’m not the first to come up with a list of songs either…and the inspiration to posting this list is obvious. While these songs are moving, they also often touch on sadness… because by being aware of sorrow, is when we can truly know joy.
Is there a song you’d like to add?
1. Life is Beautiful – Sixx A.M. (2007) – “Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful.”
2. Time of Your Life – Green Day (1997) – “It’s something unpredictable, but in the end is right, I hope you had the time of your life.”
3. Rise Above This – Seether (2008) – “I’ll mend myself before it gets me.”
4. Beautiful Day – U2 (2000) – The upbeat track is about losing everything but still finding joy in what one has.
5. Dream On – Aerosmith (1973) – “Dream until your dream comes true.” Don’t give up.
6. It’s Not My Time – 3 Doors Down (2008) – “Cause it’s not my time, I’m not going. There’s a fear in me, but it’s not showing.”
7. Dare You to Move – Switchfoot (2004) – Take the dare and make a positive change today.
8. Daughters – John Mayer (2004) – “So fathers, be good to your daughters. Daughters will love like you do. Girls become lovers, who turn into mothers. So mothers, be good to your daughters too.”
9. Freedom – George Michael (1990) – “You’ve gotta give for what you take.”
10. Roar – Katy Perry (2013) – “I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire. ‘Cause I am a champion and you’re gonna hear me roar.”
11. Beautiful – Christina Aguilara (2002) – “You are beautiful no matter what they say. Words can’t bring you down.”
12. What a Wonderful World – Louis Armstrong (1967) – “I hear baby’s crying and I watched them grow. They’ll learn much more than I’ll ever know. And I think to myself what a wonderful world.”